Thursday, September 16, 2010

Surgery at 2 months

This past month we have had to visit a few doctors. A few weeks after coming home from the hospital we noticed Ryder's breathing and how loud it was. It progressively got worse and after sending a video of his breathing to the pediatrician she said we should visit and ENT. It turns out that Ryder has Stridor or also known as Floppy Voice Box. In a nutshell Ryder has extra tissue that flapped around in his airway that would occasionally cause him to stop breathing for just a few seconds, and made feeding incredibly hard. He also snores and breathes so loud that he wakes himself up. Which is why I think he has such a hard time sleeping. On September 1st he had surgery to correct this tissue and it has made a world of difference. He was sedated which really freaked me out. The doctors went through his mouth and cut away all the extra tissue. Technology completely amazes me. He was in the NICU for one night and came home the next day. He's seems to be a much happier baby, I'm still hoping the sleeping habits change but his feeding is much better. It was the hardest thing to see my 2 month old taken away to have surgery but thankfully Chris was there to give me support, I was a mess.



Ryder right after surgery...poor thing.

No comments: