Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ryder's Update

This pregnancy has been easy to deal with but I have had my fare share of doctor and date issues that are kind of confusing to say the least. When I first found out I was pregnant in October I made my visit with the OB that delivered William. We had my date of conception down and my due date was set at July 4. Then at my 8 week ultrasound the baby was measuring small and my due date was moved to July 12. At my 17 week ultrasound the baby was measuring at what we thought in the beginning with a due date of July 4.

Stay with me here....it gets even more confusing.

Even though my doctor was not there during the 17 week ultrasound, my due date according to my file remained July 12 even though I was measuring at a July 4 due date.

A few weeks later I get a phone call from my OB's office saying that my doctor has been placed on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy and she referred me to a "temp" OB that is seeing her patients. WHOA...WHAT? Ok call me clueless but I had no idea my OB was pregnant and for her to be that far along and I never notice was crazy. I obviously needed to pay more attention, who would have thought that scrubs and a white coat concealed pregnancy that well. So what choice did I have but to see this new doctor temporarily. I was freaked out. I am not that good with sudden change, especially when it comes to me and my baby and trusting a complete stranger during one of the most important times of my life. I just had to reassure myself that everything would be ok. My temp doctor is very nice....and very honest.

I haven't had an ultrasound since my 17th week and was only able to hear the heartbeat. That was until last week when my very honest temp doctor expressed his interest in the size of my belly. His exact words were, "How far along are you? You are freakishly large." Not exactly what a pregnant person wants to hear but I have a sense of humor and who's kidding I was interested too! He sent orders to labor and delivery at the hospital and I had an ultrasound done at 33 weeks about to begin my 34th week.

At labor and delivery I did a non stress test and then had an ultrasound done. This is where it gets interesting. According to the ultrasound tech Ryder was measuring a little over 5lbs and the size was measuring at 35 weeks with a due date of June 21. Yes, another date thrown into the pool of dates. My next appointment with my temp doctor is June 2. I hope to get all this squared away and have something definite to share in terms of a due date.

Other then the dates, Ryder is kicking like crazy and I couldn't be happier.

No comments: